How breathe Calculates New Starters Holiday
Employees in their first year of employment do not receive their full entitlement, but instead receive a pro rata depending on how much of the year they have missed.
When you add a new employee to breathe, they will fall onto your default holiday allowance. The system will then work out if your employee has started part way through your holiday year and calculate the pro rata based on their start date.
This ends up as an adjustment on their holiday year. This document explains how that calculation is made.
(Full year entitlement X Number of days between start of holiday year and employee start date) / Number of days in Year
The figure is always rounded down to the nearest half or whole number.
Holiday year starts - 1st January 2018
Employee start date - 10th April 2018
Employees full entitlement - 28 Days
((21 x (100)) / 365) = 7.67 (rounded down to 7.5)
The adjustment on this employees holiday is -7.5
This is how it will be displayed on the employees leave profile.
You can also view these adjustments under the adjustments tab on the employees leave screen.
If you do not agree with the way the pro rata has been calculated, then you can always use the adjustment buttons on the employees leave calculation to change the figure.
How to Pro Rata a Part Time Employee's Holiday Allowance
We often get asked here at breatheHR, how do I work out my part time employees holiday entitlement for the year?
breatheHR does not do this calculation automatically, however we do appreciate that this is an important process for you when setting up an employee. So, we thought we would help you out a bit.
You can use the calculator on our website. Click here
This link will take you through the steps to calculate that all important holiday allowance:
- is the allowance based on days or hours?
- when does the employee start?
- when does your leave year start?
- how many days/hours worked per week?
- do you want to include a pro-rata'd amount for statutory holidays?
Once you are happy with the calculation you can then create a holiday allowance based on this figure.
Please note: If your part-time holiday allowance includes a pro-rata'd amount for statutory holidays, employees will need to book off any statutory holiday days that would fall on their normal working day as if they were holiday. You will NOT need to assign statutory holidays to the employee as well as giving them an additional amount in their allowance.
Employee's Leave Screen
The leave screen displays all leave the employee has requested, has taken or is booked to take.
By using the navigator you can view employees leave, simply click the plane icon.
As a HR User you will be able to manually adjust holiday allowances using the -/+ buttons.
The system will automatically pro-rata any new starter when assigned to a holiday pattern which will appear as a negative year adjustment.
From here you will be able to view how much allowance your employee has as well as if they have any holiday requests, booked leave or any taken leave.
You can add back dated leave to an employee by clicking + icon.
To edit leave click the pencil icon to cancel a request or cancel a booked holiday click the X.
If you are also a holiday approver and need to approve leave for an employee. As a HR user you don't have to be an employees holiday approver to approve holiday, however it won't show up on your dashboard.
Are you a HR user and cannot add your own leave? This may be down to your current HR settings. Click Configure > Settings > change what HR users can see and do > untick HR users leave must be approved. You will then be able to add your own backdated leave.
How to Record Unpaid Leave
We recommend recording unpaid leave as 'other leave', since other leave does not come off the employees holiday allowance but you can also create your own other leave reasons.
1) Create your own other leave reason. Go to Configure > Settings > Picklists > Other Leave Reasons
2) Add the other leave record. Go to the employees profile> leave> add leave> choose the type of leave as 'other leave'> choose the other leave reason (unpaid leave) > add the first and last day of leave> click add leave.
3) This will create a record within the employees leave screen. You can see the 'type' of leave has been recorded as other leave and the allowance used is 0 days.
How to Put an Employee on Maternity/Paternity Leave
There is a time in an employee's career where they may go on maternity or paternity leave. You may be thinking how on earth can I keep a record of this? Well in breathe, we have made it super easy to do so.
- Go to an employee's profile > leave tab:
- Select 'Other Leave' as the type of leave, as this will not come out of the employee's holiday allowance
- Chose the first and the last day of leave
- Select a reason e.g Maternity. If you can't see Maternity on the drop down menu then you may need to add it under Configure > Settings > Picklists
- Add Leave